Where can I pay my Wage Taxes?

A: The Moon Township Property Tax Office is responsible for collecting Real Estate Property taxes only, which include the Municipal and School District Taxes. This office is not permitted to collect wage taxes and has never collected wage taxes. All wage tax questions should be directed to the current collector agency, Jordan Tax Service at 412.835.5243 or call the Moon Township Municipal Building at 412-262-1700 for more information. The Moon property tax office can not answer or assist with any wage tax questions.

Why does Moon Township need a property tax collector?

A: The tax collector's role is to ensure that everyone is paying the correct amount of taxes including businesses and new contruction. One of the primary functions of any community tax collector is to be the independent collecting agent for a municipality and school district under Pennsylvania law. Property taxes, not everyone's favorite subject, are used for many purposes to support, enhance and maintain services in our community, including police and emergency services. Moon is a second class township in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The local Moon Township property tax office collects taxes from April through May (discount period), June through July (face) and August through the end of December of the current tax year (penalty period) for the township taxes.

School property taxes are collected July through August (discount period), September through October (face) and November through the end of December (penalty period) of the current tax year. It is the tax collector's duty and job as a municipal officer to collect these taxes, ensure that they are turned over to the proper taxing authorities and be there to answer, assist and guide taxpayers when situations arise. It is a convenience to the residents of the township to be able to discuss local property tax matters at a local office and to pay a local tax collector rather than an agency. An elected local property tax collector must be a resident of the community where they collect taxes, further ensuring prompt and personal service when necessary.

Does the local Tax Collector have any authority on millage rates or lowering taxes, and forgiving penalty amounts once the tax has become delinquent?

A: The answer is no, the tax collector simply collects and assists the tax payers and is legally trusted with turning over all collected taxes to the appropraite taxing body. They have no authority to set the amount of taxes, discounts or penalties incurred on the tax bills. There are various programs, however, to assist with some reductions for homeowners, senior citizens and our disabled veterans, which my office has forms and applications for the benefit of the taxpayers, or can be found of the this website. Millage rates are set by the Moon Township Board of Supervisors and the Moon Area School District Board. Any tax assistance programs are either county or state based as enacted by Allegheny County Council, the Allegheny County Chief Excutive, the Pennsylvania State Legislature or the Pennsylvania Governor's administration.

Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion (Act 50)
What is the Homestead Act, and do I qualify?

A: The Homestead Act (Act 50) is a program that reduces your market value by $15,000 for County & Moon Township municipal taxes only. To qualify, you must be the owner and occupy the dwelling as your primary residence. The application deadline is March 1 of each year. You do not have to reapply once your application is approved. Once you have filed, your exemption will remain in effect until you sell/transfer the property or change your occupancy. In addition, if you have previously filed and qualified for the Act 50 exclusion, you are automatically registered for the Act 1 program.

Why isn’t the Homestead (Act 50) applied to my property?

A: You must apply for the Act 50 if you purchase a property. Also, if there is a name change to your deed, you must file a new Act 50 application.

Example: If you transfer your deed to your maiden name, the Homestead Exclusion will be removed at the end of the year. You must reapply for the Homestead Exclusion. If you believe the Homestead Exclusion should be applied and have filed your application, contact the Allegheny County Treasurer’s Office at 412- 350-4100. You also must have applied, filed and been qualified by March 1st of the current tax year in order for Act 50 to be applied to your eligible tax statements for the current tax year.

Do I have to apply every year for the Homestead Exclusion?

A: No, you don’t have to apply again if you remain the property owner, you haven't filed a deed transfer, and it continues to be your primary residence.

Can a homeowner have more than one Homestead Exclusion?

A: No, a homeowner is eligible for the Homestead Exclusion only for his/her primary residence. Any other Homestead Exclusions will be removed, and the owner is subject to interest, penalties and fines up to $2,500.

Who sets taxation rates?

A: The county tax millage is set by Allegheny County Council. School tax millages are set by local school boards. Municipal tax millages are set by individual municipalities through either the Board of Supervisors or Borough Council.

Use the following links to find your millage rates:
Millage rates for municipalities
Millage rates for school districts
County map provides information about individual municipalities

How do I calculate my taxes?

A: The amount of property taxes that you pay to each taxing body is calculated by multiplying the assessed value of your property by the millage rate set by each taxing body. In practice, a millage rate of 1 mill means that you pay $1 in taxes for every $1,000 of assessed value. For instance, if your home has a new assessed value of $100,000 and your municipality has set a new millage rate of 5 mills, your property tax bill would be $500. Here's how you would calculate your tax bill: First, convert the millage rate to its decimal equivalent to make the multiplication easier. [5 mills x 0.001 = .005 ] Then, multiply your new assessed value ($100,000) by the decimal equivalent of the millage rate (0.005) to determine your tax bill. [$100,000 x 0.005 = $500]

Can I make an installment payment through the website?

A: No, installment payments cannot be paid through the website because we cannot keep track of the taxpayers that are taking advantage of installment payments. We have to keep track of those payments in the Tax Office.